Novak Djokovic is officially the tennis player with the highest earnings from prize money. Before the ATP Finals, Iga Swiatek held the top position. Djokovic managed to overcome Swiatek's total prize money by less than $100,000.
Yet, this is a remarkable feat from the Serbian because he played far fewer tournaments.
Djokovic had half of Swiatek's prize money in September
Iga Swiatek, according to a top made in September by Eurosport, was the player with the most prize money earned in the first 9 months of 2022.
If we look at the ranking below, we can see that the US Open winner won almost as much as Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic combined.
Also, it’s worth remarking that Swiatek is the only woman in the top 5.
This is not a surprise given the unpredictability that dominates the WTA tour. To get to the over 9 million dollars won in 2022, Iga Swiatek:
- Made it to the semifinals of Adelaide International;
- Reached the semifinals of the Australian Open;
- Stopped in the 2nd round of Dubai Tennis Championships;
- Won in Doha (Qatar);
- Grabbed titles at Indian Wells and Miami;
- Won the Stuttgart Open;
- Triumphed in Rome;
- Raised the French Open trophy above her head;
- Stopped in the third round of Wimbledon;
- Lost in the quarterfinals of the Poland Open;
- Reached the third round of the Canadian Open and Cincinnati;
- Won the US Open.
Swiatek defeated Tunisian Ons Jabeur 6-2 7-6 in the US Open women's singles final (5). As a result, Swiatek is now a three-time Grand Slam champion and approximately $3 million richer. "I'm really glad that it's not in cash," Swiatek could have been heard saying.
In October, after ending Ostrava as a runner-up, world No. 1 Iga Swiatek donated all of her Ostrava prize money to a mental health organization. Related article: Iga Swiatek supporting good cause, announces she is donating Ostrava prize money.