Last week in Shanghai, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Alexander Zverev said they were not planning to play the Davis Cup in November 2019. On Saturday, the FC Barcelona defender and Kosmos member Gerard Pique came to Shanghai to meet with some tennis authorities, but the Kosmos CEO Javier Alonso clarified about the situation in an interview to EFE.
'Gerard Pique did not travel to China to save the Davis Cup that was criticized this (last) week by some top world players, because you do not have anything to save. The Davis Cup is 118 years old and it will continue to be around.
It's a competition for the teams, not players,' Alonso said. Piquè's visit to Shanghai was scheduled for some time now and it does not have anything to do with the recent criticism that has come his way, Alonso assured.
'It's a coincidence that Gerard has holidays, he is not in the Spanish national team, he is free and it is a coincidence that he is here at the same time as the Shanghai Masters and yesterday, we were there, we spoke with Novak but like we did a million other times.' Alonso said that making everyone, players and tournaments happy is 'very difficult'.
Therefore, he shared, 'There are consistent meetings among the International Tennis Federation (ITF), ATP and us to see how we will manage to improve the calendar for the tennis players.' Pique will hold a press conference in Madrid on Wednesday to speak about the new format of the Davis Cup.
He is expected to reveal more details about it. ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title