Rest of Adria Tour called off after Novak Djokovic tests positive



by   |  VIEW 3431

Rest of Adria Tour called off after Novak Djokovic tests positive

The rest of the Adria Tour has been cancelled after world No. 1 Novak Djokovic tested positive for the coronavirus, tournament director Djordje Djokovic announced. The Adria Tour held its first leg in Belgrade on June 13-14, while the second leg of the event took place this past weekend in Zadar.

Four players who participated at the Adria Tour tested positive as previously positive tests were confirmed for Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki. The Adria Tour event in Banja Luka, Bosnia, was scheduled to take place on July 3-4.

Also, there was a scheduled exhibition match between Djokovic and top-ranked Bosnian tennis player Damir Dzumhur. The exhibition match was scheduled to take place on July 5 in the capital city of Bosnia, Sarajevo. "We are extremely sorry that we have to stop with the organizations of the tournaments in Banja Luka and Sarajevo.

We were happy that the fans, who have been waiting for for many years to see top players, would finally see Novak Djokovic and other tennis players live, as well as that by playing in these cities, we would enable the promotion of sports and financial support to local players.

Unfortunately, due to all the events of the last few days, we have made the decision that the most important thing now is to stabilize the epidemiological situation, as well as for everyone to recover," Djordje Djokovic announced.

Djokovic insists the goal of the Adria Tour was to promote positive things

"Everything we did in the past month, we did with a pure heart and sincere intentions. Our tournament meant to unite and share a message of solidarity and compassion throughout the region," Djokovic said in a statement released on his website.

"The tour has been designed to help both established and up and coming tennis players from south-eastern Europe to gain access to some competitive tennis while the various tours are on hold due to the COVID-19 situation.

It was all born with a philanthropic idea, to direct all raised funds towards people in need and it warmed my heart to see how everybody strongly responded to this." Djokovic felt sorry for those tested positive as he said: I am extremely sorry for each individual case of infection.

I hope that it will not complicate anyone's health situation and that everyone will be fine. I will remain in self-isolation for the next 14 days, and repeat the test in five days." Novak Djokovic will now isolate himself for 14 days and get tested again in five days.