Novak Djokovic reveals: 'I've had times in my career where...'



by   |  VIEW 2820

Novak Djokovic reveals: 'I've had times in my career where...'

Novak Djokovic did not take part in the Miami Open to spend time with his family, which means his last official tournament dates back to the Australian Open about two months ago. The number 1 in the world had to recover his physical form after the abdominal problem he accused in Melbourne, which had not prevented him from putting on the bulletin board the 18th Grand Slam of his amazing career.

The 33-year-old from Belgrade is ready to return to the field this week in Monte Carlo, where he will immediately challenge rising star Jannik Sinner. In the traditional press conference on Monday, the Serbian phenomenon did not say he was worried about the rust that could affect his performance in the first matches.

In fact, Novak pointed out that this is not the first time he has taken such a long break from touring. Djokovic's goal is to reach 100% at Roland Garros, whose start has been postponed by a week due to the delicate health situation in France.

Last year it was literally demolished by Rafael Nadal in the last act.

Novak Djokovic is fully confident about his chances

"I've had times in my career where I haven't played a tournament for maybe two months, and I've always come back," Novak Djokovic said.

"I don't think I have to do anything special in my preparation to feel my best on the court." Having trained extensively on clay since withdrawing from the Miami Open, Djokovic claimed he is 'physically ready' for the challenges that lie ahead.

"I trained a lot on clay," the Serb said. "Since I retired from Miami, I have hit balls on clay. It was convenient here in Monte Carlo where I reside with my family, I felt good. I feel physically ready." Djokovic is now all set to make his comeback to tennis when he takes on Jannik Sinner in his Monte Carlo opener on Wednesday.

"Mentally I've missed tennis for the past two months when I wasn't competing," Djokovic said. "I'm looking forward to my first game." During the interview, the World No. 1 also talked about the absence of fans at this year's Monte Carlo Masters.

"It's too bad we don't have an audience, but it's common these days," Djokovic said. "I hope that we will be able to welcome the public very very soon in the big tournaments in Europe." Thus, at Monte Carlo 2021, Djokovic will be making his first appearance since winning Aussie Open.

He is the World No.1 and despite his injury troubles in recent years he hasn’t had problems restarting again.