Security staff numbers have been increased for Roland Garros, which starts on Sunday, officials announced in the wake of a suicide bombing at a pop concert in Manchester that left at least 22 dead. The organisers of the second grandslam of the year which is held in Paris, have taken necessary steps to ensure smooth functioning of the event.
Paris police chief Michel Delpuech said French authorities were looking at security at cultural and sports events, including the French Open which starts next week at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. "We've accredited 1 200 security staff, which is a little more than in 2016," said Jacques Le Mene, head of security at the French Open. French tennis federation (FFT) spokesperson Stephan Post added that France remained at level two of its security alert system, Plan Vigipirate, which specifies reinforced security and risk of attack.
"There's been no particular advice from our security partner, the Paris police," Post said. "We really make security a priority in our actions. We're not experienced in a situation of an attack in the sense that we've not experienced one, but we're trained, we've done simulations and training drills. "With the experience of last year, our system is more efficient." Also Read: Wawrinka: 'I'm not going through a crisis'