Rafael Nadal: 'During the last year I was not able to...'



by   |  VIEW 3831

Rafael Nadal: 'During the last year I was not able to...'

Rafael Nadal put an end to his 2021 season this Friday, announcing that he would not play again this year to recover from the problems he has had in his left foot since Roland Garros. "I wanted to inform you that unfortunately I have to end the 2021 season," said the Spaniard through his social networks.

“Honestly, I've been suffering a lot more than I should with my foot for a year and I need to take some time. After having discussed it with the team and family, this decision has been made and I believe that it is the way forward to try to recover and recover well.

It is a year in which I have missed things that matter a lot to me, like Wimbledon, like the Olympics, or how the United States Open is going to be now or many other events that are also important to me. In view of the fact that during this last year I have not had the ability to train and prepare and compete in the way that I really like to do it, I come to the conclusion that what I need is some time to recover."

Rafael Nadal on his injury

Rafael Nadal took to social media to inform his fans of his decision. In a video on Instagram, the Spaniard said he has been "suffering" more than usual with a foot problem over the last year.

"Hello everyone, I am very sorry to announce that I won't be able to keep playing tennis in 2021 season but as you know I have been suffering too much from my foot in the last year," Nadal said. "I missed a lot of important events for me like the US Open now, Wimbledon, the Olympics and many other events that are so important and emotional for me."

Nadal then shed some light on his injury, explaining how the pain has not allowed him to practice and compete at the level he would like to. "The foot is not the proper way and during the last year I was not able to practice and prepare myself the way that I need to, to be competitive at the standards that I want to be," revealed the Spaniard.

However, the Mallorcan is confident of making a full recovery. "So we had to take that decision but I am confident that I will recover 100% and I will be able to fight again for the most important things," Nadal said.