Coach Carlos Moya has revealed that Rafael Nadal has not been doing well for a while and their worst fears became reality when the Spaniard decided to put an end to his 2021 season on Friday. After losing in the French Open semifinal, Nadal skipped Wimbledon and the Tokyo Olympics to rest his foot.
Nadal returned to action in Washington -- where he was clearly hampered by a foot injury -- and he ended up suffering a shock round-of-16 loss to Lloyd Harris. Nadal then pulled out of the Toronto Masters and Cincinnati Masters.
"Nadal has not been doing well at all for a while. It is true that on clay the discomfort is minimal, but on hard it is worse. These are already severe pains. It was something that was known and that could happen and unfortunately we will not see Nadal again for the rest of the year," Moya said, per We Love Tennis.
Nadal thinks he made the right decision
"Hello everyone, I wanted to inform you that unfortunately I have to end the 2021 season. Honestly, I’ve been suffering a lot more than I should with my foot for a year and I need to take some time.
After having discussed it with the team and family, this decision has been made and I think it is the way forward to try to recover and recover well," Nadal said in a statement. "It’s a year that I’ve missed things that matter a lot to me, like Wimbledon, like the Olympics, how the United States Open is going to be now, like many other events that are also important to me and in view of the fact that during this last year I have not had the ability to train and prepare and compete in the way that I really like do it.
"In the end, I come to the conclusion that what I need is time to recover, change a series of things, try to understand what has been the evolution of their feet in recent times. It is not a new injury, it is an injury that I have had since 2005 and it had not prevented me from developing my sports career during all these years."