Nick Kyrgios announces United Cup withdrawal, no match with Rafael Nadal in Sydney
by DZEVAD MESIC | VIEW 10837
Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from the inaugural United Cup. According to The Sydney Morning Herald, Kyrgios' camp said that the Australian tennis star sustained an ankle injury at the World Tennis League in Dubai. The inaugural United Cup is kicking off on Thursday as Australia is scheduled to take on Great Britain.
Kyrgios, the top-ranked Australian male tennis player, was scheduled to take on Cameron Norrie in Sydney on Thursday. Australia is also sharing the group with Spain as Kyrgios and Rafael Nadal were scheduled to meet on January 2nd.
Just a few days ago, Nadal said he was looking forward to playing Kyrgios as he felt a match like that would have been a great preparation for the Australian Open.
The Australian team not impressed by Kyrgios' decision
In early December, Kyrgios competed at the Diriyah Tennis Cup in Saudi Arabia.
Last week, Kyrgios participated at the inaugural World Tennis League in Dubai. But there were no signs that Kyrgios would skip the United Cup. “We literally just found out 10 minutes ago,” Australian United Cup captain Sam Stosur told media.
Meanwhile, Alex de Minaur - who is now the top-ranked Australian male tennis player at the United Cup - delivered a pretty cold response when asked about Kyrgios' withdrawal. “You know I think it would be great if we just talk about this great team, we are all here, we are all happy to be here, we are about to play an exciting new event, something new for all of us, The United Cup.
Let’s just talk about that, it is exciting. Everyone here is excited to play so we are just going to have fun, it is a great team around us and we are just happy to be here," de Minaur said of Kyrgios' withdrawal. Meanwhile, Kyrgios is signed up to compete at the Adelaide International 2, which kicks off on January 10th. It remains to be seen if Kyrgios will at least play in Adelaide leading up to the Australian Open.