David Ferrer: Rafael Nadal is practicing five days a week, Monte Carlo is target

Nadal is hoping to be able to return to action on April 9th.

by Dzevad Mesic
SHARE
David Ferrer: Rafael Nadal is practicing five days a week, Monte Carlo is target

Barcelona Open tournament David Ferrer reveals Rafael Nadal is practicing "five days a week" and the plan is to have the Spanish tennis superstar return to action at the Monte Carlo Masters. Nadal, 36, suffered a hip injury in Australia and he hasn't played since.

On Monday, the Barcelona Open released its entry list and Nadal is among the players who have signed up to play. The Monte Carlo Masters is starting on April 9th, while the Barcelona Open kicks off on April 17th. "Nadal is practicing five days a week.

The idea is for him to start in Monte Carlo now. Personally, I want him to have a good campaign on clay," Ferrer told Punto de Break.

Nadal pulled out of Indian Wells, Miami to focus on the clay season

The general belief was that Nadal would skip the Masters events in Indian Wells and Miami to focus on preparing for the clay season.

In early March, Nadal shared an update to his fans and announced his withdrawal from Indian Wells and Miami. In his message, Nadal told his fans he was working on "coming back in the best conditions." "It’s been a while since I don’t communicate with you.

Took my time off, started rehab, gym and physiotherapy as instructed by the doctors. Getting ready to come back the in the best conditions. I am sad that I won’t be able to compete at Indian Wells nor Miami. Very sad not to be there.

I’ll miss all my US fans but I hope to see them later this year during the summer swing," Nadal wrote on Twitter. Last year, Nadal was forced to skip the start of the clay season due to a rib injury. Now, Nadal is expected to start the clay season in time but he hasn't played in a while and it will likely take him some time before he rediscovers his best game.

David Ferrer Rafael Nadal Monte Carlo
SHARE