Rafael Nadal's fans take a breath of relief. The Spaniard has withdrawn from five events already this year - Brisbane, Acapulco, Indian Wells, Miami and Queen's - but in a press statement on Monday he confirmed his appearance at the Rogers Cup in Toronto that starts on August 6. 'I’m really looking forward to being back in Toronto this summer,' Nadal said.
'I always love playing in Canada and I hope to see the fans out in force for my first match on Wednesday night.' Nadal will play in Toronto for the first time since 2010 when he reached semi-finals losing to the British player Andy Murray.
The tournament takes place one year in Toronto and one year in Montreal, and in 2012, 2014 and 2016 the Spaniard had always withdrawn due to knee and wrist injuries. Nadal enjoyed a great season so far, winning four titles (Monte Carlo, Barcellona, Rome, Roland Garros) and can increase his lead up to 3,000 points by winning the title in Toronto, as the Swiss Roger Federer won't play.
The Serb Novak Djokovic will play there as well: 'I have happy memories from winning the title in Toronto in 2016 and it’s always a highlight on my calendar. The tournament looks after us so well and the fans are always passionate about their tennis.
After a dream run at Wimbledon, I’m really motivated going into the hard-court season so I look forward to defending my Toronto title.' ALSO READ: Kevin Anderson reveals why Roger Federer inspires him
Carlos Alcaraz opens up on playing Olympic doubles with Rafael Nadal
Daniil Medvedev says Novak Djokovic will be overtaken by Carlos Alcaraz
Ryder, Novak Djokovic won the All Star Match
Carlos Alcaraz hurles a massive challenge to Novak Djokovic
Australian Open boss addresses if Novak Djokovic could get stadium named after him
Tennis legend Roger Federer will be honored with an iconic milestone