Rafael Nadal: 'I considered shutting down my season'


by   |  VIEW 5670
Rafael Nadal: 'I considered shutting down my season'

Rafael Nadal, speaking to BBC, analyzed the start of his season. The Spaniard dealt with multiple knee injuries. “Mentally, after Indian Wells, I suffered a major downturn. Ideas and scenarios were swirling inside my head.

I considered shutting down my season to see if my body would recuperate instead of playing through injury after injury. For the last two months and a half, I was able to conclude all the tournaments that I played, which is so important.

But honestly, during the previous 18-20 months, it was a mess for me. Too many injuries last year and then at the beginning of this season again some troubles. But I am lucky I was able to find again the health and was able to play five tournaments in a row clay.

That gave me self confidence again with my body and that's the main thing because [since then] I have been playing well", said Nadal, who defeated Joao Sousa in straight sets on Monday to book a quarter-final clash against Sam Querrey.

David Goffin feels ready to face Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon quarter-finals. The Belgian player said: “I knew that it's my favourite tournament, and I knew that I had the game to play well on grass. To reach the quarter-finals for the first time, it means a lot, and especially because a few months [ago], I had tough moments on the court, tough moments off the court. Now, to be back with my best tennis, especially here, it's the perfect place and the perfect moment”.