'That is a decision Rafael Nadal will have to consider', says analyst



by   |  VIEW 21363

'That is a decision Rafael Nadal will have to consider', says analyst

The 2020 season will resume in August after a very long suspension due to the Coronavirus emergency. The compressed calendar will force many players to make choices, also aimed at avoiding injuries after an unexpected and prolonged stop period.

Pending the final decision regarding the US Open, Rafael Nadal could be forced to give up defending the title in New York to focus directly on Roland Garros. By triumphing in Paris for the thirteenth time, the Spanish phenomenon would equal the eternal rival Roger Federer in the all-time ranking of the conquered Slams.

The two majors are just a month away from each other, as well as competing on very different surfaces and in different parts of the world. Annabel Croft, esteemed TV presenter after a playing career, tried to analyze the situation in an exclusive interview with Tennis365.

Croft on Rafael Nadal

“There are just two weeks between the US Open and the French Open, so someone like Rafael Nadal will have a decision to make,” Annabel Croft told Tennis365. “Does he go to America and play best of five-set matches that may have an impact on his hopes of performing well on his favoured surface? I would imagine most of the top players will try to play both events if they can, but the players who are likely to get to the back end of the US Open may not be at their best for the French Open as it comes along so quickly.

That is a decision Rafa will have to consider, but I still believe the US Open can be a great event, even if some of the top players are not there. There will be so many great stories to tell in tennis over the next few months and that’s why I can’t wait for the tournament to get underway”.

Meanwhile, the director of the Mutua Madrid Open Feliciano Lopez has already confirmed the presence of the former World number 1 at the Masters 1000 which will be held in the Spanish capital immediately after the conclusion of the US Open.

Although there has been no confirmation from Rafa’s camp, his uncle Toni Nadal had a few comments regarding his nephew’s participation in the US Open. Toni indicated that Rafa is hesitant and it’s impossible to compete in the US Open, Madrid Open, Italian Open, and French Open in one month.

“He was hesitating; he told me about the calendar. It is difficult in a month to do the US Open, Rome, Madrid, and Paris; it is almost unfeasible,” Toni said.