With a decision that certainly did not take the insiders particularly by surprise, World number 2 Rafael Nadal announced a few days ago that he would not participate in the Us Open 2020, a tournament where he would have to defend the title of reigning champion.
The world of tennis was forced to stop five months ago due to the pandemic and the men's season should start again in a couple of weeks with the American tour and with strict rules. Many players do not yet feel ready to travel to the United States in these conditions, and they also risk quarantine once they return to Europe.
In a recent media interaction, Rafael Nadal has come out in support of Novak Djokovic in the aftermath of the disastrous Adria Tour. However, Nadal also expressed the importance of learning from the mistakes of the tournament.
Nadal on the gravity of the health crisis
"I think most of the players want the best for the world and for people," Rafael Nadal said. "Of course there was a mistake in the tour organised in Serbia and Croatia but mistakes are normal when you face a situation you haven't faced before,” he added.
Due to the precariousness of the overall situation around the pandemic, Rafael Nadal believes that the varied and seemingly knee-jerk decisions of the players cannot be faulted. "The players need to make decisions but I am not saying mine is the right one," Nadal said.
"Every decision can be right or wrong. We are facing unpredictable situations. I really hope people learn from the Adria Tour and we continue in the best way possible," Nadal concluded. The US Open in New York, scheduled for August 31 through September 13, will be followed a fortnight later by the French Open at Roland Garros.
Nadal had announced earlier this month that he wouldn’t participate at Flushing Meadows this year, despite winning the men’s singles title in New York last year. “After many thoughts I have decided not to play this year’s US Open.
The situation is very complicated worldwide, the Covid-19 cases are increasing, it looks like we still don’t have control of it,” the Spaniard had stated. “This is a decision I never wanted to take but I have decided to follow my heart this time and for the time being I rather not travel”.
Now, Nadal has added that the Covid-19 situation worldwide was his primary consideration but the potential switch from hard to clay courts was a big factor for him as well.