European sport, in a period in which the variants of Covid are scaring everyone, receives good news: Roland Garros will take place. The French Federation itself announced the tournament from May 17 to June 6 after being forced last year to postpone it to autumn.
The new management team of the French Tennis Federation intends to confirm the organization of Roland Garros for the next edition by trying to "maximize" the number of people who will be able to attend the matches.
This was announced by the new general director of the organization, Amélie Oudéa-Castéra. These are his words: "Our will - said the manager, appointed this morning - is to be able to organize the tournament on the scheduled dates and with the highest number of spectators, subject to what we will be allowed to do by the authorities, taking into account the decisions of the government and with the extremely ambitious and rigorous application of a very well studied health protocol " Last year, with the pandemic in its first wave, the Federation decided to postpone the tournament in the autumn and limit the audience to 1,000 spectators per day on the total of the fields.
So after the conclusion of the first seasonal Slam tournament, the Australian Open, which was played with the possibility for the public to attend with a limit of 50% of seats, it will now be the turn of the Parisian tournament to manage a situation that remains delicate.
but that by doing all the necessary precautions, he could make fans from all over Europe return to attend a Major in person. It is inevitable that today's decision can be revoked in the hypothesis in which the cases of contagion return to rise or it could happen that the tournament continues but that the entrances are forbidden.
A similar situation occurred in Melbourne during the first week of the tournament, when following an outbreak identified in an airport hotel, the government of the State of Victoria had ordered a total lockdown for a week.
Recently, tennis coach Patrick Mouratoglou highlighted the dominance Rafael Nadal has at Roland Garros.
Mouratoglou on Rafael Nadal
Frenchman Patrick Mouratoglou said, “Just a confirmation in stats of what I answer every year when asked about Roland Garros potential winner: The only suspense when RG starts is about knowing who Rafael Nadal will beat in the final”.
There was a survey conducted displaying the winning percentage Federer had at Wimbledon, Djokovic had at the Australian Open, and Rafa at French Open. The 39-year-old Swiss superstar won 89% of his matches, the Serbian machine won 91% of his matches, whereas the Spanish flag bearer won 98% of his matches.
While superstar Spaniard Rafael Nadal will defend the title on the men’s side this year, 19-year-old Pole Iga Swiatek will enter the women’s draw as the reigning champion. Nadal clinched a record 13th French Open title last year, taking his career Grand Slam championship tally to 20, same as familiar foe Roger Federer.