For the second year in a row Roger Federer has been named the world's most marketable sports person of the year, according to the London School of Marketing researchers. In 2016 the Former World Number 1 earned $60.7 milion in sponsorships and endorsements, which means that being out of competition for six months didn't affect his off-court earnings.
'Despite Roger Federer's slow year in terms of success in his sport, his successful endorsement deals show that personal characteristics can also be an important part of long-lasting sponsorships', Jacques de Cock, faculty member at London School of Marketing said.
In the top 10 List, Federer is ahead of LeBron James, who earned $53.8m, the golfers Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods, respectively with $50 and $36 million. There are also Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal. Full list of the World's most marketable athletes here below: 1) Roger Federer (tennis) - £49.2m
2) LeBron James (basketball) - £44.3m
3) Phil Mickelson (golf) - £41m
4) Tiger Woods (golf) - £36.9m
5) Kevin Durant (basketball) - £29.5m
6) Rory Mcilroy (golf) - £28.7m
7) Novak Djokovic (tennis) - £27.9m
8) Cristiano Ronaldo (football) - £26.2m
9) Jordan Spieth (golf) - £26.2m
10) Rafael Nadal (tennis) - £26.2m ALSO READ: Hopman Cup Tournament Director: 'I'd love to have Roger Federer back'
Top French journalist rips Roger Federer: "He is a megalomaniac"
Roger Federer shares beautiful words for the 2024 Laver Cup winners
The incredible happens: fans rip Roger Federer, here's the reason
Roger Federer praises the Laver Cup: the future is today
Roger Federer reveals what was his 'annoying side' during playing days
Roger Federer tells Novak Djokovic, Carlos Alcaraz his wish for 2024