In a recent interview to Mary Carrillo of Tennis Channel, Roger Federer said that at the moment he is committed to play Roland Garros, which starts on 28 May. The Swiss player, who decided to enjoy a eight-week break skipping most of the clay-courts season, said: 'I entered into the French (Open) and the plan is to play the French.
I just feel like I need to be really hungry and excited to make the switch to the clay and I am eager to achieve something over there. Not just show up and make people happy. I could get on a roll and then you never know.' He is aware that getting far in Paris will be difficult: 'Rafa is the favourite.
I think he’s so good on the clay, he showed it again with a tenth Monte Carlo title. I think with Novak winning there last year, I think they are going to be the one-two favourites', said the World No. 4, who will take a definitive decision on May 10.
Federer added: 'When I had success in Australia I knew I could not do everything this year. Also, last year the clay-court season was difficult for me and I knew that for sure I'd have missed a part of the clay-court season.
The question was: will I play one Masters before French Open or not? Skipping it and play only the French is the right thing to do as a dad, husband, tennis player, for my Foundation, training. And I feel like it's the right thing to do also looking ahead of the season.'