"Wimbledon blow ‘a nightmare’ for Roger Federer", says former British number 1


by   |  VIEW 15432
"Wimbledon blow ‘a nightmare’ for Roger Federer", says former British number 1

The official cancellation of Wimbledon due to the pandemic that affected the whole globe arrived on Wednesday. Former British No. 1 Annabel Croft believes this decision is a major blow especially for Roger Federer and Andy Murray.

The Swiss phenomenon intended to redeem last year's scorching disappointment, when he was forced to bow to Novak Djokovic after wasting two match points in the final. The 2019 final was their third encounter on Centre Court for the final of the Championships and their fourth match overall in this tournament.

Most analysts felt Federer outplayed Djokovic for most of the match (Djokovic stated "Federer was the better player for most of the match") but due to Djokovic winning points at critical moments, namely during the first, third and fifth set tiebreakers, Djokovic was able to win the five-set match.

At 4 hours and 57 minutes, the match was their longest encounter in any tournament and the longest Wimbledon gentlemen's singles final in history. The match has been described as containing "insanely gripping drama" and being both mesmerizing and "mesmerizingly strange" with Djokovic referring to his win as "unreal"

“How many more times can Roger Federer realistically try to win Wimbledon?” Croft asked in the Mirror. “And if the French Open does take place later in the year, that benefits Rafael Nadal more than anybody potentially.

And then you look at Serena Williams and her best chance to win another Slam is on the grass-courts at Wimbledon so that affects her as well. She is now 38 and has started a family. There are so many different scenarios and question marks.

And Andy Murray is going to miss another Wimbledon. It is going to make him re-think everything as well. It is a nightmare”.