Coach Severin Luthi has said that Roger Federer's recovery is going good as the Swiss could return to the practice courts next month following a double knee surgery. In February, the 38-year-old Swiss underwent an arthroscopic knee surgery on his right knee as his goal was to be fully ready for the grass season.
Several months later, the grass season was canceled and the Swiss decided to underwent a second knee surgery since his recovery from the first surgery didn't go as planned. "Roger is fine. Very good even, but that's not surprising when you know his way of always seeing the positive side of things," Luthi said, per RTN.
"He's doing his physio. He's started working on the physical level again. The next step will be mid-August, he’ll start practicing again." Federer has called it a season as his goal is set to be fully ready for the beginning of the next year.
Luthi has underlined that returning to action at the Australian Open remains the plan but admits the Swiss may play a tournament before the opening Grand Slam event of the 2020 season. "We stand by what has been decided: Roger will return for the 2021 Australian Open if it takes place," Luthi said.
"However, consideration is being given to the advisability of playing a tournament just before Melbourne."
Luthi confident tournaments in Europe will take place
Last month, the ATP announced their plans to resume the season on August 14 at the Citi Open but that won't be happening since the Washington event was canceled this week.
But the USTA is still planning to stage both the Cincinnati Masters and US Open in New York, where players would be put in a bubble. A number of players have expressed their reservations about going to the United States due to coronavirus concerns and playing in Europe is the preferred option of many players.
The US Open is scheduled to kick off on August 31, while the rescheduled French Open is due to start on September 27. "Two months ago, I was ready to bet that the 2020 season was over, he says. But the Grand Slams keep pushing for a return.
However, I believe it remains 50-50 for the US Open. On the other hand, we will most certainly have a season on clay with Madrid, Rome and Roland Garros," Luthi added.