'Absence of Roger Federer, Nadal, Djokovic was like...', says ATP star



by   |  VIEW 4173

'Absence of Roger Federer, Nadal, Djokovic was like...', says ATP star

Lorenzo Sonego has just made his entry into the Top 30 of the ATP ranking and last Sunday he won the second title of his career by beating Laslo Djere at the Sardegna Open. The 25-year-old from Turin had already jumped to the headlines at the end of last year, when he had taken away the satisfaction of beating an unrecognizable Novak Djokovic in Vienna.

The blue made a good progress even in the first Masters 1000 of the season, staged in Miami a couple of weeks ago. Only a very good Stefanos Tsitsipas stood in his way in the Florida tournament. Interviewed by 'La Gazzetta dello Sport' on the eve of the Monte Carlo Masters, the Piedmontese described the absence of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic in Miami as a great chance for many players.

Suffice it to say that it was since 2004 that the Big 3 did not skip an appointment of this caliber as a whole. Djokovic and Nadal will be the men to beat in the Principality, where they have often made the big voice in the recent history of the tournament.

Lorenzo Sonego on the Big 3

"Not having Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic around, let's say it's a nice relief," Lorenzo Sonego said. "A bit like when as a child you can have your home free to celebrate."

When asked who he saw as the new leader on the circuit in the absence of the Big 3, Lorenzo Sonego was quick to pick Daniil Medvedev. "I would say Daniil Medvedev, he has already overtaken Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal (in the rankings)," Sonego said.

"Among the new players, he is certainly the strongest and the most consistent." The first clay-court Masters tournament of 2021, the Monte-Carlo Masters, kicked off on a rather emotional note. Spanish Rafael Nadal and Serbian Novak Djokovic joined H.S.H Prince Albert II and Miss Melanie-Antoinette de Massy to unveil Baroness Elizabeth-Ann de Massy’s plaque.

Rafa wrote, “Today, Nole and I remembered Madame de Massy, accompanying Prince Albert de Monaco and Melanie de Massy. We will miss having the Baroness with us”. The unveiled plaque will later find its place in the main alley of the Monte-Carlo Country Club.

Both Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal are looking forward to starting their clay-court season with flying colors. While the Serbian is chasing his third title, the Spaniard is bidding for a record-extending 12th Monte-Carlo title.

It is indeed a special tournament for both of them. Most significantly, in 2013, Djokovic denied Nadal his ninth consecutive Monte-Carlo Masters title and ended the Spaniard’s 46-match winning streak in the final.