South African tennis star Kevin Anderson says his recovery is going great and he would have probably been ready to make a comeback at the beginning of the clay season. After picking up surprise Jason Jung first round loss at the New York Open in February, the 33-year-old South African underwent a right knee surgery.
It was yet another setback for former world No. 5 Anderson, who was limited to only five events last year before he underwent a season-ending knee surgery in September. Unfortunately for Anderson, he won't be able to return to action before the grass season as the coronavirus pandemic forced the ATP to extend the Tour suspension through to June 07.
"My recovery’s gone great. I think it’s been really successful so far... I probably would have been ready for Monte-Carlo and the clay-court season," Anderson told the ATP Tour. "Obviously that’s not going to happen anymore, so we just had to readjust and now I’ll be at home and I feel like the toughest part of getting over the surgery and recovery has been done."
Anderson, who ended runner-up to world No. 1 Novak Djokovic in the 2018 Wimbledon final, is in great spirits and now there is not a need for him to rush anything. “I feel quite confident where I am right now and I can maintain as much as I can while not being able to train properly and hopefully things settle down and it’s more safe to go outside, I’ll be able to resume and get back with things," Anderson added.