Dominic Thiem avoids major setback, won't need wrist surgery



by   |  VIEW 1556

Dominic Thiem avoids major setback, won't need wrist surgery

2020 US Open champion Dominic Thiem has shared a positive update as he won't need a surgery on his injured wrist. Thiem, 28, suffered a season-ending wrist injury at the Mallorca Open in June. Thiem suffered some setbacks in his recovery process and the surgery was a possibility.

Fortunately for Thiem, he received positive news on Monday as he should be able to return to the practice court in November and kick off his season in January. “I had a very important day today,” he said on Twitter.

“I was in Belgium to decide if I needed surgery for my wrist or not, and luckily I had very good news. I won’t need surgery, it’s looking stable and it’s looking good. “The next week I have to make it more flexible and strengthen my wrist and do everything to prepare to slowly start playing tennis again.

I am looking forward so much to that. “It has been a long time without the racket and I honestly miss it. A huge thanks to all the fans who supported me during the long months and weeks, I don’t think I would have made it through without you.

Big thank you and I see you soon”.

Thiem suffered an 'unfortunate mistake' in his recovery process

"As most of you know, a few months ago I decided to make some changes to my team structure. This was all announced and we are happy with the changes we made.

These changes didn't affect my core competition team which has remained the same throughout," Thiem said in a statement posted on his social media last month. "Unfortunately as you all know, I picked up a freak injury in the build up to Wimbledon.

I worked hard with the wrist specialists and my team to agree the best recovery plan. In hindisght, during this recovery process, an unfortunate mistake resulted in me missing not only the US Open, but ultimately the rest of the season."