World No. 32 Carlos Alcaraz has announced that he recovered from COVID-19 and that he is now able to return to normal life activities. "Hi everyone! Today I bring good news, I have tested negative in the two PCR (tests) that I have done in the last 48 hours, that means that I can go out and see family and friends again, and of course go back to training and preparing for the 2022 season.
Thank you all very much for the messages of encouragament," Alcaraz announced on Thursday. Spain suffered a big blow when Alcaraz tested positive for COVID-19 just the day before the start of the Davis Cup Finals. It was a big blow for Spain, who had already lost Rafael Nadal and Roberto Bautista Agut due to injuries.
"Hello everyone, I wanted to communicate that today I tested positive for COVID-19 which will prevent me from playing the Davis Cup that I was so excited about," Alcaraz announced last Thursday.
Nadal sent a message of support to Alcaraz
Shortly after it was announced Alcaraz tested positive for COVID-19, Nadal sent a message of support to Alcaraz and the Spanish team.
"Much encouragement to the entire Spanish team after the news we received today. When something like this happens, the competition takes a back seat. The most important thing is health and I hope there are no more cases.
A hug to all," Nadal said in a tweet. Alcaraz, who is one of most talented players on the ATP Tour, was praised recently by world No. 1 Novak Djokovic. "Naturally, I somehow recognize parts of myself in someone, some characteristics that I had in my youth: confidence, self-belief, a great desire to win, passion and devotion for the sport.
I can see these in young (Carlos) Alcaraz, as well as in (Jannik) Sinner, and it was obvious in (Alexander) Zverev when he was coming up," Djokovic said.