British tennis star Emma Raducanu has confirmed she is a full-go for Wimbledon as she is excited about taking on the Centre Court for her first round match versus Alison van Uytvanck. Raducanu, the 11th-ranked player in the world, sustained a side injury in her first grass match.
After retiring her Nottingham first round match after just seven games, Raducanu pulled out of Birmingham and decided against playing in Eastbourne this week. “I’m very much looking forward to being back here at Wimbledon,” Raducanu said, per The Guardian.
“I think that it’s the most special place to be playing tennis. Just a very inspiring and motivating place to be. Definitely looking forward to stepping out on court on Monday. Yeah, ready to go”.
Raducanu avoided a Wimbledon withdrawal
After Raducanu cancelled her Friday's practice with Garbine Muguruza, some feared that meant the 19-year-old was not ready to compete at Wimbledon.
“Definitely there were moments earlier in the week when we weren’t sure,” she said. “We were sort of going to see how the week goes. But it went pretty well. And, yeah, now it’s full steam ahead.
Everyone’s really looking forward to it. Yeah, we’re all ready”. Last year, Raducanu was an 18-year-old promising teenager who was awarded a wildcard into Wimbledon. Now, Raducanu is the top-ranked British female player and the face of British tennis.
“This year I get such a special feeling walking around the grounds,” Raducanu said. “I definitely feel that people are behind me. Even from some of the people working on the tournament, they’re like: ‘You got this.’ Just cheering me on.
That’s pretty special in itself”. Raducanu was handed a tricky opener at Wimbledon as van Uytvanck can definitely play well on grass. Raducanu and van Uytvanck will be going head-to-head for the second time when they meet at Wimbledon. At a WTA event in Chicago last year, Raducanu earned a straight-set win over van Uytvanck.