Kei Nishikori planning to return to action in Vienna


by   |  VIEW 2650
Kei Nishikori planning to return to action in Vienna

Japanese tennis star Kei Nishikori says his arm and elbow and issue is not that serious as he hopes to be ready for the Erste Bank Open 500 in Vienna, which takes place from October 21-27. Disappointingly for world No. 8 Nishikori, he was forced to withdraw from the Japan Open in Tokyo -- where he intended to play singles and doubles in front of his home fans as part of his preparation for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

The Japanese also ruled himself out of the Shanghai Masters and the Uniqlo exhibition match against record 20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer. "My injury is not so bad. (I pulled out of Tokyo) because I want to get cured of it completely.

I'm planning to play Vienna once I recover from the injury," Nishikori said at his sponsor's event, per Seiadoumogera/Twitter. Should Nishikori recover in time for Vienna, he would be making his second appearance at the Austrian event.

The 29-year-old Japanese fell just short of having a dream Vienna debut last year as he ended runner-up in the final to South-African Kevin Anderson.