Former world No. 25 Vasek Pospisil claims he wasn't too surprised when Wimbledon got cancelled. Last week, the AELTC announced they would hold a meeting this week to determine the faith of Wimbledon. From that moment, it was widely expected that Wimbledon will get called off.
On Wednesday, those fears became a reality as the Wimbledon officials announced The Championships won't be staged for the first time since 1945. "I wasn't really too surprised," Pospisil told TSN. "It was one of those decisions that was expected, especially with all the tournaments being cancelled left, right and centre.
It doesn't look like there will be tennis anytime soon so it was an announcement that was bound to happen ... there's no doubt it’s the right call." In 2014, Pospisil teamed up with Jack Sock at Wimbledon and the two ended up winning the men's doubles title.
"It's the biggest tournament in the world," Pospisil said. "It's the most prestigious tennis event out there with so much history. For me, it was a dream to play Wimbledon. I don't want to overstate it, because there's four grand slams, but when you think of tennis you think of one tournament and it's Wimbledon.
Like, Wimbledon is tennis. You know, for me at least, that's kind of how I look at it." Also on Wednesday, the ATP and WTA extended the suspension of tours until at least July 13. "To be honest, I would be surprised if there was any play at least before the fall or late summer just with the way things are going," Pospisil said.
"I feel like even in a best-case scenario, let's say this pandemic really starts slowing down and there's fewer cases and the curve starts to flatten, there will still be a very long period of caution that I would expect the governing bodies around the world to take into consideration.
I'm a very optimistic person in general, that's my nature, but I also try to be pretty realistic ... I'd be pretty surprised if there was any tennis this summer."