Milos Raonic speaks on when we might see tennis again



by   |  VIEW 5886

Milos Raonic speaks on when we might see tennis again

Canadian Milos Raonic says it's hard to tell when we might see tennis again. On Wednesday, the ATP and WTA further extended the suspension of tours until at least July 13 due to the coronavirus pandemic. "In conjunction with the cancellation of The Championships, Wimbledon, the ATP and WTA have jointly announced the continued suspension of the ATP and WTA Tours until July 13, 2020, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic," the ATP and WTA announced in a joint statement.

"The ATP and WTA realise the importance and responsibility to prioritise the health and safety of the tennis community and general public while assessing the feasibility of the Tours’ resumption." Raonic suggested it would take time for tennis to return to normal activities.

"It's hard to know, because tennis is such a set schedule geographically," Raonic told TSN. "It's not like we are waiting for one market to open up and for one country to be safe, there are so many factors."

After last week's AELTC announcement, it was widely expected that Wimbledon would get called off. Though the ATP and WTA tours had been suspended through to June 7, there wasn't too much belief that Wimbledon would be able to start on June 29.

On Wednesday, the representatives of the ATP, WTA and Wimbledon mutually agreed to suspend the season until at least June 13. Raonic, 29, made his maiden Grand Slam final at Wimbledon in 2016. Unfortunately for the Canadian, he fell short in the final against home favorite Andy Murray. Back then, Murray beat Raonic in three right sets to lift his second Wimbledon crown.