Greek tennis star Stefanos Tsitsipas says he though the Wimbledon cancellation news was just an April fools home. On Wednesday, the Wimbledon organizers called off the event due to the coronavirus outbreak. "I went to bed thinking this was all a bad April fools joke but I woke up today to find the Wimbledon is actually cancelled," Tsitsipas said in a Twitter post.
"I will miss this special event and I can’t wait to 2021, stay home, stay sane!" In their statement, the Wimbledon organizers underlined that the health and safety of everyone remains a top priority. "It is with great regret that the Main Board of the All England Club (AELTC) and the Committee of Management of The Championships have today decided that The Championships 2020 will be cancelled due to public health concerns linked to the coronavirus epidemic.
The 134th Championships will instead be staged from 28 June to 11 July 2021," Wimbledon announced in a released statement. "Uppermost in our mind has been the health and safety of all of those who come together to make Wimbledon happen – the public in the UK and visitors from around the world, our players, guests, members, staff, volunteers, partners, contractors, and local residents – as well as our broader responsibility to society’s efforts to tackle this global challenge to our way of life."
Tsitsipas, ranked at No. 6 in the world, debuted at Wimbledon in 2017. The Greek made the round-of-16 at Wimbledon in 2018, while his remaining two appearances at The Championships disappointingly ended with a first round loss.
Former world No. 5 Tsitsipas enjoyed huge success in London at the end last year when he beat Dominic Thiem to lift his maiden Nitto ATP Finals title.