John Isner: I'll be OK financially but some players won't during Tour suspension



by   |  VIEW 9565

John Isner: I'll be OK financially but some players won't during Tour suspension

ATP Player Council member John Isner says he will remain financially stable during the Tour suspension but hopes that something will be done to help lower level professionals. On Wednesday, the ATP and WTA further extended the suspension of tours until at least July 13 due to the coronavirus outbreak -- a decision which was expected after the rumors of Wimbledon cancellation began to spread last week.

Isner, the 2019 Miami Masters champion, has earned $409,524 in prize money this year, while his career prize money amount stands at $19,081,320. But the majority of tennis players aren't in Isner's position as some players have already called on the major tennis bodies to financially support lower level professionals during the Tour suspension.

"We are still discussing all of this,” Isner told The New York Times. “The top players in the world, most of those guys are going to be OK. I personally will be OK, but some people literally rely on a paycheck week after week.

So the struggling professional tennis players are no different than anyone who has been furloughed or laid off through all of this in any profession”. Isner, ranked at No. 21 in the world, enjoyed a pretty solid season before the Tour got suspended as he made two ATP semifinals in Auckland and Acapulco.

Former world No. 8 Isner was close to making the Acapulco final in his last tournament played but he fell just short of doing so after fellow compatriot Taylor Fritz came from a set down to win their semifinal clash.