Top-ranked German tennis player Alexander Zverev says the Tour suspension isn't helping him at all as he would have a great chance to gain lots of points in the upcoming period. This week, the ATP and WTA further extended the suspension of men's and women's professional tours until at least July 13 due to the coronavirus outbreak.
There won't be any movement on the ATP rankings list while the Tour suspension is on as the ATP decided to freeze the rankings. "The situation is stupid for me because I played very badly in 2019 for a long time and I have hardly any points to defend this year.
Now I could collect a lot, but I can't and I'm stuck in the seventh place," former world No. 3 Zverev told Bild. On March 12 -- just days after Indian Wells Masters became the first major United States sporting event to get called off due to the coronavirus outbreak -- the ATP Tour initially suspended the Tour for six weeks.
Last year, after ending runner-up in Acapulco, Zverev's form dropped as he picked up a third round loss in Indian Wells before he was beaten in the Miami second round. The German's poor form continued when the clay season started as he picked up several early exits before he won Geneva and made the quarterfinal at the French Open.
The 22-year-old hoped a solid run at Roland Garros would give him the confidence for the grass season but that wasn't the case as he made the Halle quarterfinal but disappointingly lost his openers at Wimbledon and Stuttgart.