Kei Nishikori hopes season resumes as soon as possible


by   |  VIEW 1921
Kei Nishikori hopes season resumes as soon as possible

Japanese tennis star Kei Nishikori, 30, hopes the season will resume as soon as possible as he is each day making a progress in his recovery process from an elbow surgery. Nishikori, ranked at No. 31 in the world, hasn't played since last year's US Open as his 2019 campaign came to an end after he underwent a season-ending elbow surgery in October.

The Japanese hoped he would be ready for the beginning of this season but unfortunately that wasn't the case as he was forced to skip the whole Australian summer. The 30-year-old also missed the whole February but appeared to be set to return to action in March or early April.

Unfortunately for Nishikori and the whole tennis world, the tennis season has been suspended until at least July 13 due to the coronavirus outbreak. "Hope to see you soon. Well, we know it won’t be soon, but wait a little more," Nishikori said on Instagram Live, per Jose Morgado.

Several players have said they wouldn't be surprised if the whole season gets eventually cancelled. After calling off the grass season, the ATP and WTA confirmed their efforts will turn to resuming the season when this current suspension expires.

"At this time, tournaments taking place from July 13, 2020 onwards are still planning to proceed as per the published schedule," the ATP and WTA said in a joint statement. "The ATP and WTA realise the importance and responsibility to prioritise the health and safety of the tennis community and general public while assessing the feasibility of the Tours’ resumption."