David Ferrer: I'd be more anxious because of suspension if I were still active



by   |  VIEW 1973

David Ferrer: I'd be more anxious because of suspension if I were still active

Former world No. 3 David Ferrer admits it would be extremely hard for him to cope with the Tour suspension if he were still a professional tennis player. The ATP and WTA further extended the suspension of the men's and women's professional tours until at least July 13 due to the coronavirus outbreak.

However, there is now guarantee that the season will indeed resume after the current suspension expires as several players have already stayed they wouldn't be surprised if the season suspension gets extended once again.

Ferrer, a former 27-time ATP champion, retires last year in front.of his home fans at the Madrid Masters -- where he was beaten in the second round by 2018 Nitto ATP Finals champion Alexander Zverev. "I could never go four of five weeks without touching a racket.

But I'm ni longer active. If I were still a tennis player, I would be more anxious," Ferrer told La Vanguardia. ATP Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi recently confirmed that the priority will be given to staging the Grand Slam and Masters events if the season resumes.

"This is a domino effect. All tournaments lose. It's about trying to lose as little as possible," Ferrer said. Ferrer, the 2013 French Open, is now the tournament director of the Barcelona Open -- which was scheduled to he held this year from April 20-26.

The Barcelona Open organizers have said their focus turns to 2021 as they hope that they will be able to host the tournament once again next year.