Tomas Berdych sends honest message to tennis authorities



by   |  VIEW 3315

Tomas Berdych sends honest message to tennis authorities

Former Czech tennis player Tomas Berdych says the tennis world has to accept the reality of the situation and probably make some decision that have never been done in the past. The ATP initially suspended the Tour for six weeks on March 12 due to the coronavirus outbreak and now there won't be any play before at least mid-July.

The whole clay and grass seasons were called off and players don't seem to be particularly optimistic that the US hard court swing will take place this year. As many other sports, the game of tennis is also suffering losses and prize money being reduced once tennis returns is one of the expected things to happen.

Berdych, a former world No .4, put an end to his successful career at the end of last year. "I think people and the whole sport have to be more open now to changes and to new decisions that have never been done in the past,” Berdych told Ravi Ubha from Prague, as revealed on Tennis.com.

“They cannot look at it like, ‘But that’s never happened in the past.’ Yes, that’s never happened, but now it’s very different and what’s happening now has never happened in the past."

The latest rumor suggest that the comeback date for tennis will be pushed back to August 3, while more and more players fear the whole season could eventually get cancelled. Recently, ATP Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi explained that the focus will be on staging the biggest events -- Grand Slams and Masters tournaments -- if the season resumes this year.