French tennis player Gregoire Barrere says he is fine financially but admits there will be financial problems if the Tour suspension lasts for at least half a year. Barrere, ranked at No. 95 in the world, has earned just over $153,000 this year and a total of $1,001,300 over the course of his career.
The Tour has been suspended for two months now due to the coronavirus outbreak and the growing fear is that we may not see any Tour events taking place until 2021. "It is clear that if it lasts six months, it will start to be difficult.
During this period, I continue to pay my coach, my academy," 26-year-old Barrere said, per We Love Tennis France. As the fear of not seeing any tennis for the rest of 2020 grows, tennis federations across the world are planning to host domestic events with ATP and WTA players taking place -- with prize money being included.
Barrere, who achieved a career-high ranking of No. 80 in the world last year, says he is looking forward to featuring on the French Tour. "Even if the ATP Tour does not resume, I find the initiative to organize a tour in France as a very good idea.
There won't be ATP points, but we will be on the court and we will be keen to give the best of ourselves," Barrere said. Barrere's best result of the 2020 season came in front of his home fans in Montpellier, where he made the quarterfinal before losing in two sets to Serb Filip Krajinovic.
• Gregoire Barrere: Everyone from Rafael Nadal to world No. 250 would play French Open • ATP Montpellier: Vasek Pospisil, Norbert Gombos, Gregoire Barrere make winning start• Gregoire Barrere reacts to breaking into top-100 • Maxime Cressy, Lloyd Harris and Gregoire Barrere shine in Challengers• Gregoire Barrere books room until Saturday but then qualifies for Wimbledon• Maiden title for Gregoire Barrere. Malek Jaziri conquers Qujing