Coach Corrado Barazzutti: Fabio Fognini set to return to training, no tennis in US



by   |  VIEW 1463

Coach Corrado Barazzutti: Fabio Fognini set to return to training, no tennis in US

Coach Corrado Barazzutti says the recovery of his pupil Fabio Fognini has gone well so far and the Italian is set to gradually return to training activities. Fognini, the 2019 Monte Carlo Masters champion, underwent an arthroscopic surgery on both ankles in late-May after years of struggling with injuries.

"I’ve been having a problem with my left ankle for three-and-a-half years now. It’s an issue I’ve learned to cope with. Then my right ankle started playing up in the past two years as well,” Fognini wrote at the time.

“I had hoped the various issues would go away during my two-month break from the game because of the lockdown, but when I resumed training, they were still there. "After medical examination and a long discussion with my team, I decided to have arthroscopic surgery on both ankles.

I believe it’s the right thing to do while the Tour is on this enforced break. I will undergo surgery in Italy today. I can’t wait to be back playing again!" A month and a half month after the surgery, world No.

11 Fognini is feeling well and the Italian hopes he will be ready to play European clay events once the season resumes. "Next Sunday the 40 days from the operation that Fabio sustained to both ankles will expire," Barazzutti told Supertennis.

"On Monday I will start training him again with all the attention. We will start again with a series of gradual workouts that will obviously be agreed with the physiotherapist and the doctor who operated him. Depending on how he reacts, we could more or less intensify these workouts.

The goal is to put him in a position to compete in the first clay courts."

Barazzutti says no tennis in the United States

"And then, if you want my opinion, it won't even be played in America. The situation seems too serious to me and I don't think it will improve quickly.

Since in the US they don't do any kind of lock down, and they don't want to do it either, I assume that the number of infections will always be very high and therefore, in my opinion, will end up giving up on the tournament. However, I understand that a decision will be made between the 13th and the 15th of this month," Barazzutti said.