As the coronavirus situation in the USA is still not improving and more and more players started to withdraw from this year’ US Open edition, Wimbledon en-titre champion Simona Halep said no to Flushing Meadows as well.
This, unless the American soil becomes safe in a short amount of time, which is quite unlikely given the way things are unfolding nowadays. “I don’t know yet if I’ll go to America. In the current conditions, no!
Health is most important and no one can judge anybody when they make a personal decision!” said Halep in a press conference held at a Romanian airport.
Simona Halep tests negative ahead of Prague
Simona Halep will play her first matches in a WTA competition after she won the Dubai title in February and withdrew from Palermo last week.
Starting from 10th August, the Romanian will play in the Prague Open and she’s the no.1 seed. The other top seeds are Petra Martic, Elise Mertens, Dayana Yamstrenska, and Ekaterina Alexandrova. Nevertheless, she isn’t carrying too many worries ahead of the competition.
“I wished a lot for the tournaments to start. I’m a little stressed out, but I think it will be fine. I took the test and got the result yesterday, negative, of course. When I arrive there today I’ll do another test and we’ll stay in the room until the result comes,” Halep said at the airport.
“A case can appear from anywhere, but I don’t want to think negatively. I want to see the good side and the fact that we can play tournaments. Maybe I wasn’t prepared mentally. Now I’m feeling better, so I am 100% convinced that I can play,” Halep continued.
Halep confirmed in Prague
For now, Halep landed well and safe in Prague and confirmed that everything is alright.
I’m happy to be in Prague and let’s enjoy it!”, she said at the airport in Prague. The Prague tournament is a WTA International tournament with prizes totalling 250.000 euros. The winner gains 43.000 dollars.
The Prague Open will be held without spectators and everyone involved will have to respect strict rules in order to prevent the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus infection.
4 players have chance to make it through the qualification rounds. And we are waiting for the results from @LadiesOpenPA where it will be decided about the last spot. pic.twitter.com/YVlov7KN8w — Prague Open 2020 (@tennispragueopn) August 7, 2020