Australian tennis player John Millman has praised the United States Tennis Association (USTA) for the effort they have put in to ensure safety conditions for all players participating at the upcoming events. The USTA was doing everything it could to make the US Open happen and eventually they decided to stage both the Cincinnati Masters and US Open in New York, in a bubble, where players have to follow strict health restrictions to minimize the risk of anyone getting infected.
The Cincinnati Masters kicks off on August 21, while the US Open will take place as initially scheduled from August 31 - September 13. "First impressions of the US Open series so far have been positive. You can see the effort the USTA have put in to make it happen and as a player I feel safe, comfortable and it’s good to be back.
Too effort from the USTA," Millman said in a Twitter post. Millman, ranked at No. 43 in the world, debuted at the Cincinnati in 2016 after making it past the qualifying round -- he won his opener at the tournament before losing to world No.
3 Dominic Thiem. The Australian failed to make it past the Cincinnati qualifying in each of the past two seasons.
Millman returns to the US Open
Meanwhile, the 31-year-old is set to make his sixth main draw appearance at the US Open.
Millman, a former world No. 33, achieved his best result at the US Open in 2018, when he famously stunned record 20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer to make his maiden Grand Slam quarterfinal. Millman had certain concerns over playing the US Open but eventually accepted, while his fellow compatriot Nick Kyrgios pulled out of the event over coronavirus concerns.
"Let’s take a breath here and remember what’s important, which is health and safety as a community. We can re-build our sport and the economy but we can never recover lives lost,” Kyrgios said in a video posted on the Uninterrupted social media account created by LeBron James, as quoted on Stuff.
“I have got no problem with the USTA putting on the US Open and if players want to go, that’s up to them, so long as everyone acts appropriately and acts safely." Millman and Kyrgios clashed at the US in 2017, when the 31-year-old stunned the six-time ATP champion in four sets.