The International Tennis Hall of Fame released the nominees that will compete in the voting process for the 2023 induction into the Tennis Hall of Fame. "In the Player Category, 8-time major doubles champion Daniel Nestor of Canada makes his ballot debut.
The six additional nominees in the Player Category, all returning to the ballot for the Class of 2023, are:
- Cara Black of Zimbabwe, former world No. 1 and a 10-time Grand Slam champion in doubles and mixed doubles
- Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain, 2003 French Open champion and former world No.
- Ana IvanoviÄ of Serbia, former world No. 1 and 2008 French Open champion
- Carlos Moyá of Spain, winner of the 1998 French Open and former world No. 1
- Flavia Pennetta of Italy, former doubles world No. 1 and 2015 US Open singles champion
- Lisa Raymond of the United States, winner of 11 Grand Slam titles in doubles and mixed doubles, and a former doubles world No.
“As a former player, I appreciate the hard work and professionalism each of these world-class athletes possess. Being recognized as candidates for tennis’ highest honor, induction into the Hall of Fame, is a momentous accolade”.
How does the voting unfold
According to the Tennis Hall of Fame, "induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame represents the ultimate honor in tennis, with a sum of the honoree’s achievements and impact as being amongst the highest in the sport’s history.
With the ballot set, the Official Voting Group comprised of tennis journalists, historians, and Hall of Famers, will cast their ballots in the coming months. The ITHF’s annual Fan Voting for the Player Category returns later this week, giving fans around the globe the opportunity to weigh in on which player nominees are deserving of Hall of Fame induction.
From Thursday, Oct. 20 through Sunday, Oct. 30, tennis fans can cast their ballots at vote.tennisfame.com. The top three candidates in the Fan Vote will receive added percentage points to their vote totals from the Official Voting Group, with first place earning three percentage points, second place two percentage points, and third place one percentage point.
To be elected to the Hall of Fame, candidates must receive an affirmative vote of at least 75% or higher from the combined total of the Official Voting Group result, and any bonus percentage points earned in the Fan Vote."