The 112th edition of the Monte Carlo Masters was a success in more ways than one. The tournament broke the previously-set attendance record as more than 136,000 spectators attended the event. Every session from Tuesday to Sunday was sold out on every court, the tournament director Zeljko Franulovic confirmed.
The tournament had worked hard to make it happen, adding some seats on the Court des Princes. 'The weather was exceptional,' Franulovic admitted in a conference call on Sunday. 'As our reputation says, we were able to launch the summer season on the French Riviera after the hard rains we had the previous weeks.
Now winter has given way to summer and we were able to play all our matches every day on time without delay and in excellent conditions. So with the latest extensions to welcome more spectators, we were able to break the record of 136,000 spectators.
Also another proof of the attractiveness of our tournament, the tennis fans have not hesitated in braving the train strikes to be present here. Starting on Tuesday, tickets were totally sold out, and we are not even in a school holiday period.' Speaking about some of the lengthy three-setters in the tournament, one of which was between Marin Cilic and Kei Nishikori, Franulovic mentioned on the scope of how the ATP Next Gen finals were played in Milan, with no-let and the shot-clock.
He said, 'Well, you should ask the ATP because they carried out the tests. But once you do the tests, after that you have to make the right decision and keep within reasonable limits. I personally very much liked those three-setters.
What we could shorten is the breaks in between the points, in between the first and the second serves. Maybe we could put a clock or something to speed up the game there because it takes time for the player to get the towel and everything.
But for me, the problem is not the three sets. We have the tie-break to shorten it up.' ALSO READ: Maria Sharapova says she will never be Serena Williams's friend