The World Tennis Challenge will feature top players competing in Adelaide on Monday 7 and August 8 January 2019. Coco Vandeweghe will not able to compete there as she has withdrawn from the tournament due to a physical issue.
She will try to recover in time for the Australian Open that starts in a week. 'I am extremely disappointed that I am forced to withdraw from the WTC this year', said Vandeweghe. 'I was looking forward to arriving in Australia early and preparing for the Australian Open in Adelaide.
I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about the event. Last year was a tough year for me recovering and unfortunately I sustained an injury in my prep this off season. I want to thank Tennis Australia and the organisers of the WTC for their support and I wish them nothing but the best for this year’s event.
I look forward to getting on the court as soon as possible.' Vandeweghe will be replaced by the former world No. 5 Eugenie Bouchard, who is coming off from a great run in Auckland having won the doubles title with Sofia Kenin.
The General Manager of the World Tennis Challenge David Hearne said: 'We were excited to be welcoming CoCo to Adelaide and we are sad to hear of her injury. We wish CoCo the very best with her recovery and look forward to welcoming Eugenie Bouchard to Team Cash, alongside Borna Coric and Pat Cash on Monday night.'
Bouchard joins Borna Coric, Victoria Azarenka and Coco Vandeweghe in the field. ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title