Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova was back on the tennis courts on Thursday as lockdown rules were relaxed in the Czech Republic. Kvitova is a former World No. 2 and is currently ranked No. 12 in the world. While Kivotva has been working on her fitness at home during the lockdown, she was able to return to the courts as well as the government permitted tennis as one of the activities while maintaining strict guidelines.
Kvitova posted a slow-motion video of her hitting her serve on Thursday and said, "Restrictions are sloooooowly starting to lift here. Can't tell you how good it feels to be able to hit tennis balls again." The left-hander's last tournament was the Qatar Open in February, when she beat world number one Ash Barty in the semi-finals before losing out to Aryna Sabalenka in the title match.
As of now, there are no tennis tournaments till 12th July on the tennis circuit. The tennis tour bodies have said it will take a call in the coming weeks on the status of events post 12th July. Kvitova had also said earlier this week that she supported the idea of an ATP WTA merger.
Restrictions are sloooooowly starting to lift here in ð¨ð¿
Can’t tell you how good it feels to be able to hit tennis balls again ð
Stay safe everyone and let’s take our time adjusting to the new normal â¤ï¸ pic.twitter.com/zZl77IJtxV — Petra Kvitova (@Petra_Kvitova) April 30, 2020