Two time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka has been using some of her free time during the lockdown to improve her cooking skills. In fact, the Japanese player has created her own recipe for risotto which she shared recently with Glamour magazine.
She calls the dish "RisottOsaka," and says, “I love the texture and comfort of risotto, but I put my own spin on it. I added protein that you don’t normally find in risotto, changed up the cheese, and I use sushi rice."
“This is a good time to experiment, and you can substitute items in this dish that you may have in the house. You may have leftover steak or shrimp in the freezer, or you could add in chicken." “When you're on the road as much as I am having the chance to be home and cook is really relaxing and comforting”.
Here is a look at the recipe for the “RisottOsaka”
- ½ ribeye steak (about 2 oz.), sliced
- 5 shrimp, cleaned and peeled
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup grated pepper jack cheese
- ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sushi rice
- Boil the sushi rice and let simmer.
(you can use any rice) When done, set aside in large bowl.
- Sauté the steak and onions together in a large pan. Then add the shrimp once the steak is nearly done and onions turn translucent. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Take the steak, onion, and shrimp from sauté pan and transfer to a clean, unused bowl.
- Add heavy cream and milk to the heated pan, then add the butter and cheese.
Stir everything until it becomes a thick, cheesy mixture. Add parsley, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Slowly add the steak mixture as well as milk and cheese mixture back to the heated pan. Add the rice, then mix until everything is nicely coated.