Spanish tennis player Enrique López Pérez says he plans to fight against his suspension by the Tennis Integrity Court even though he has been cleared of any wrong-doing in charges in an illegal match-fixing case by the Spanish courts.
The 29 year old Spaniard López Pérez had applied to lift provisional suspensions imposed in December 2019 but the Tennis Integrity Unit had said rejected his application, which means that he cannot compete in or attend any sanctioned tennis event, even though he has been cleared of any wrongdoing in the case by a court in Spain.
Enrique López Pérez says he wants to fight against his suspension by the TIU
In an interview to the Spanish website Marca, Lopez Perez says he has been cleared of any wrongdoing by the Spanish courts and will also fight against the TIU suspension.
"After eight months without being able to play tournaments, now that I have the sentence and that the case is closed, they (the TIU) make my suspension official. The facts of which the Tennis Integrity Unit accuses me have already been investigated by the Spanish justice as well as by the General Prosecutor's Office and the Civil Guard .On June 22, 2020, the judge at the direction of the Prosecutor's Office, considered my case as dismissed, since then I have been completely mentioned as innocent of the charges of match fixing.
The court has ruled that it is not even appropriate to open an oral trial against me. Considering itself above the Spanish courts, the TIU intends to retry the same facts evaluated in the Spanish Court using the same facts and evidence.
This fact is nonsense. But above all it is an abuse of my most basic fundamental rights and it will be denounced in court. In fact, I complained to the TAS after being suspended in December and they agree with me in the seven points that I present.
What happens is that I was involved in a criminal process in my country. So I have returned to them now. I will go against the ATP both in Switzerland and in Spain." The Spaniard says he wants to resume playing again and has already lost close to 100,000 euros since he was not able to play, "I wanted to play again and I have not been able to do it even in a national tournament.
They have made me lose 100,000 euros between Australia, the help of COVID-19, the money from Wimbledon, the fixed amount that I had for the teams of France and Switzerland, which was 35,000 euros, plus the qualifying of the US Open and Roland Garros, which are going to be played.
Not to mention that I have to pay the lawyers." Enrique López Pérez reached his highest ATP singles ranking of 154 in July 2018. He is currently ranked No. 196 in the world.