Belgian women, Kirsten Flipkens and Ysaline Bonaventure, part of the group of players who were put in a 'bubble within a bubble' after coming in contact with French tennis player, Benoit Paire, have said that they cannot leave the United States until Saturday, September 12th due to the medical guidelines in New York.
Kirsten Flipkens & Ysaline Bonaventure will remain in New York till September 12th
Kirsten Flipkens, who was hoping to play the qualifying draw in Rome, posted an update on her social media, in which she thanked the USTA for organising the tournament but also spoke about her situation in the coming days.
"I am not complaining about how everything went so far with the stricter protocols etc. Have to say I am thankful to have at least been able to play the tournament. I am out of the @usopen tournament in singles and doubles. Usual routine? Book a flight back home.
Rest, prepare on clay, leave for Rome ... And now it looks like 'the seven/eleven' (7 players +4) will have to stay here 2 weeks starting from last contact with @benpaire. Which means, no qualifying in Rome as it starts Saturday!
Also want to mention that all of my PCR tests have been NEGATIVE so far. Let's hope for the best and that, after so many daily testings, I'll be able to get back (safe) home soon to my loved ones."
According to the La Libre website, Bonaventure has given an account of the current situation for her.
Belgian player Kirsten Flipkens, part of the group who had to sign the new protocol agreement in order to play after close contact with Benoit Paire, has been eliminated in singles & doubles.
"It's absolutely brilliant. I will have to stay here until next Friday with my coach and with Kirsten, when I have been here for 22 days and have always tested negative. I don't know how it's going to be. It seems that we still have access to the stadium, but it will be very difficult to re-motivate and train to prepare for the season on clay.
Having to stay another eight days, locked in your hotel room, is not what you want when you are eliminated from a tournament. Now, it's the same for everyone who has been in contact with Benoît. Apart from accepting and patiently dealing with your pain, there is not much you can do." Bonaventure adds that their stay in New York could get extended if she or her coach test positive for the virus in the time that they may be there in New York.
"First let's hope that none of us, my coach, I or even Kirsten, test positive for Covid-19. Because in this case, we will have to redo 14 additional days of confinement. Then we will see what is possible when I return to Europe.
I had planned to participate in the ITF tournament in Cagnes-sur-Mer, a 100,000 dollars, as a preparation for Roland Garros, but it is not ideal to leave New York on Friday and reach on Sunday for playing a clay court event.
So I think I'll rather stay home and train. I will therefore not have the right to play a warm-up tournament for Roland Garros." The French player Benoit Paire was the first player to be withdrawn from the US Open due to a positive COVID-19 test.
A group of players who had been in close contact with him had been placed under stricter protocols by the USTA. (Translated Quotes as per Google Translate)
Simona Halep shows class beating Kirsten Flipkens in Belgian's final tournament
Kirsten Flipkens pulls out of Yarra Valley Classic because of unhealed ankle injury
Ysaline Bonaventure says coach Germain Gigounon quit to work with David Goffin
Richard Gasquet & Kirsten Flipkens among players put on stricter protocols at US Open
Kirsten Flipkens: it is absurd that US Open continues to remain on the schedule
Kirsten Flipkens Stopped & Fined by Police During Bicycle Ride