Daria Kasatkina weighs in on Wimbledon ban



by   |  VIEW 28415

Daria Kasatkina weighs in on Wimbledon ban

Russian tennis star Daria Kasatkina admitted she is disappointed to be banned from competing at Wimbledon but noted there are much more important things in the world that need to be addressed. On Wednesday, Wimbledon banned Russian and Belarusian players from competing at The Championships.

“Of course we players are disappointed that we’re not allowed to be part of one of the biggest tournaments in the world. But there are much more important bigger things happening in the world right now. Human lives are much more important," Kasatkina told Südwestrundfunk.

Kasatkina won't be making her sixth Wimbledon appearance in 2022

Kasatkina made her Wimbledon debut in 2016 and since has participated in each Wimbledon edition. In 2020, Wimbledon didn't take place because of the pandemic.

Kasatkina's best Wimbledon result came in 2018, when she reached the quarterfinal before losing to former world No. 1 Angelique Kerber. In recent days, Kasatkina's fellow compatriots Andrey Rublev and Karen Khachanov also gave their thoughts on the Wimbledon decision.

Rublev ripped Wimbledon for their decision, accusing them of a "complete discrimination against us Russians." Khachanov didn't go that far but expressed his disappointment over the Wimbledon decision. “About Wimbledon, obviously, I’m just really sad – really sad, disappointed, devastated that these things are happening right now for everybody, you know, and that we came to this point.

I mean, I cannot... For me, it’s one of the nicest tournaments in the world. You know, it’s special. I had a good run there last year – I played the quarterfinals. And, you know, I’m just really sad that I will be not able to compete there and give my best in one of the biggest tournaments during the year that we have, these four grand slams. So yeah, like I mentioned, I’m really sad that the decision was taken yesterday," Khachanov told Ana Mitric.