Emma Raducanu is "looking forward" to returning to Miami after being handed a main draw wildcard for the tournament. On Thursday, the Miami Open organizers announced Raducanu as a main draw wildcard recipient. Raducanu, 20, made her Miami debut last year.
In her Miami, Raducanu had a first-round bye before losing to Katerina Siniakova in the second round. "Hey guys, it's Emma here. I'm really looking forward to coming to Miami for the 2023 Miami Open and I look forward to seeing you there," Raducanu said in a video message posted on the tournament's Twitter.
Miami tournament director welcomes Raducanu to Miami
A year and a half ago, Raducanu made all the headlines when she became the first qualifier to win a Grand Slam.
Even though Raducanu hasn't had that much success since her US Open victory, she is a fan favorite wherever she goes. James Blake, a former top-10 player who now serves as the Miami tournament director, believes "incredible story" Raducanu deserved a main draw wildcard.
“Raducanu is such an incredible story what she did at the US Open, taking the world by storm like we hadn’t seen since Maria Sharapova winning Wimbledon at such a young age and becoming a media phenomenon. It’s been a bit of a struggle since then, but realistically for her age, she’s getting better, and just happened to have one of her greatest performances at one of the biggest events on the calendar.
She’s continuing to make progress. We’re happy she’ll be in Miami. With the success she’s had on hard courts, hopefully she’ll feel comfortable here," Blake told The Miami Herald. Meanwhile, Raducanu hasn't played since losing in the Australian Open second round to Cori Gauff.
Raducanu was scheduled to play at this week's WTA 250 event in Austin but pulled out due to tonsilitis. Raducanu will compete in both Sunshine Double events as she is expected to return to action next week in Indian Wells.