Anett Kontaveit admitted she was going through a wide range of emotions after concluding the final match of her career at Wimbledon. On Thursday, Kontaveit took to the court for one final time as her career came to an end with a 1-6 2-6 loss to Marie Bouzkova in the Wimbledon second round.
At the age of 27, Kontaveit is walking away from pro tennis due to a chronic back issue. After being diagnosed with lumbar disc degeneration in her back and realizing it was impossible for her to continue playing at a high level, Kontaveit announced on June 20th that her career would be ending at Wimbledon.
“There’s a lot of emotions. There’s sadness, there’s happiness, there’s a bit of everything. It was incredible to have so many people cheering for me. Of course, the match didn’t go the way I wanted it to, but I was so happy to be able to play in front of so many people that love me and were able to see me play for the last time – in singles," Kontaveit said after the match.
Kontaveit says that should definitely be it
In recent days, some WTA players have attempted to convince Kontaveit to continue playing beyond Wimbledon. But Kontaveit says that if she wanted to continue playing, that would be impossible considering the condition of her back.
With that being said, it's pretty safe to say that Kontaveit won't be returning to tennis. “I’m pretty firm with this decision. When I stand up for too long or sit down for too long in the same position, it (my back) starts bothering me.
I hope that if I don’t give it that much exercise with tennis it will feel better in everyday life," Kontaveit highlighted. Kontaveit finishes her career with six WTA titles and a career-high ranking of No 2 achieved last year.