WTA CEO Steve Simon: Too soon to speculate about other tournaments that follow


by   |  VIEW 2741
WTA CEO Steve Simon: Too soon to speculate about other tournaments that follow

Steve Simon, the Chief Executive of the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) Tour has said he is not willing to speculate about future tournaments after organizers of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells said that the tournament would not go ahead as scheduled due to the outbreak of the coronavirus.

The BNP Paribas Open is one of the biggest tournaments in the tennis calendar outside of the Grand Slams and one of the biggest sporting events across the world to be canceled so far. The tournaments is a combined men's and women's event.

Simon commented, "First and foremost, there isn't anything more important than protecting the health of our players, staff, volunteers and fans who attend our events. Based on the medical advice received on March 8, it is with regret that the 2020 BNP Paribas Open will not be held as scheduled this March.

The WTA empathises with those affected by the coronavirus in this region and around the world. We are disappointed our fans will not be able to come out and watch the event, and our players are also disappointed to not compete over the next two weeks, along with the sponsors who support the event.

However, we understand the decision which has been made in the interest of public health and safety, which is the top priority at this time. It is too soon to speculate about what will happen to other tournaments that follow.

We will continue to closely monitor the situation. Health and safety will always come first." The Miami Open is scheduled to start on March 9th, followed by the Volvo Car Open in Charleston and the Copa Colsanitas in Bogotá, Colombia on April 6th before the tour heads to Budapest, Hungary for the Fed Cup finals.

Several players and fans have been speculating that the tournaments in Miami would also be canceled as the outbreak of the virus has also hit the Miami area.