While the USTA and French Tennis Federation have said that they are working on various scenarios in order to push the Grand Slam events and try to ensure they happen this year, Mickey Lawler, the President of the WTA Tour, says that it will not be very easy for the tennis circuit to resume though all possible efforts are being made in that direction.
Mickey Lawler, who is the President of the WTA Tour, was speaking on the Argentine show 'La Red', in which she spoke about the resumption of the global tennis circuit. "What I know is that everything is being done to return to play, but it is not easy.
Until there is a vaccine it will be very difficult to travel and play. If the US Open is played, there will be tournaments first. The next two weeks will determine what will be done."
Mickey Lawler says the schedule will be know in the next two weeks
Speaking on the merger of the ATP & WTA Tours, Lawler says, "It is not the first time that we have talked about it.
In this difficult moment we must take advantage of it to work together. Tennis is best when men and women are together, such as in the Slam tournaments. The future of tennis must be united and a connection must be found that makes it possible.
It's not easy because there are players who don't want it and they have a lot of say." Currently, all tennis tournaments till the end of July have been cancelled with the earliest possible resumption of the tour being in early August.
The US Open is scheduled to take place in late August while the French Open is scheduled to take place in late September. The USTA has said that it is looking at various options to play the tournament, including limited or no fans, limiting the support staff of players on the tournament site.
They are also looking at moving the Cincinnati tournament to New York in order to ensure that players are in one location during their time in the United States. The French officials have said that they would also like some clay court events to take place prior to Roland Garros.
Organizers in Rome have said that they are happy to host their event in September as well. A decision and announcement is expected by the middle of June about the status of events in August and September.