The US Open women's draw has seen two more notable names pull out of the tournament. Former Top 10 player Carla Suarez Navarro and former French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko are the latest players to pull out of the tournament.
Six of the top eight players in WTA rankings have already pulled out earlier, including World No. 1 Ash Barty, the current champion at Roland Garros. World No. 2 Simona Halep, of Romania, and the defending US Open women's champion Bianca Andreescu.
Other missing names on the women's side include former US Open winner Svetlana Kuznetsova, Dutchwoman Kiki Bertens, Ukraine's Elina Svitolina and Swiss Belinda Bencic.
Carla Suarez Navarro and Jelena Ostapenko have both pulled out of the US Open
Suarez Navarro, a two-time US Open quarterfinalist, pulled out of the event on Monday, citing health reasons.
She had earlier pulled earlier from the Western and Southern Open. The 31-year-old says she is ready not to compete at the moment due to health reasons and is following medical advice. In a message on social media, Suarez Navarro says, "Unfortunately I had to withdraw from the @usopen due to health reasons.
I'm not ready to compete at the moment, so I'm following medical advice. All the best to those competing in NYC. Hope to see you soon."
Meanwhile, 2017 French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko has pulled out of the tournament as well, citing a change of schedule.
Unfortunately I had to withdraw from the @usopen due to health reasons. I’m not ready to compete at the moment, so I’m following medical advice.
On the men's side, some of the notable names who have pulled out include defending men's champion Rafael Nadal, 20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer, Frenchman Gael Monfils and three-time Grand Slam winner Stan Wawrinka amongst others.
With the two latest withdrawals, Kurumi Nara and Whitney Osuigwe were able to get into the main draw. Osuigwe had earlier been given a wild card which has now been transferred to 16-year-old Californian Katrina Scott by the U.S.
Tennis Association. The US Open is scheduled to start in New York on 31st August and will be the first Grand Slam event to be held since the Australian Open in January. The French Open will be held later this year in Paris and the Wimbledon Grand Slam event has been cancelled this year.